Legion of Mary

Discussion in 'Mother of God' started by garabandal, Jan 25, 2009.

  1. garabandal

    garabandal Powers

    For over a year now I have been praying and discerning whether
    I should join the Legion of Mary but there was none in my parish.

    I did enquire of two neighbouring parishes and got a contact
    number and rang the nearest one only to find that they
    held their meetings on a Monday night [my wife works night
    duty on that night] so it did not suit. So I said to our Lady that
    if she wanted me to join I needed a Legion that suited our
    family situation.

    Today after Mass the priest invited a Lady to speak to the
    congregation as a few people in our parish felt called to
    start a Legion of Mary in our village/parish and they
    wanted to test if there was enough support in the region so they
    gave out forms for people to fill in.

    So pray that this venture takes off - and my wife also expressed an
    interest in joining so it would be a family affair!

    Is there anyone familiar with the Legion and the spirit of the Legion
    of Mary and its spirituality?

    Garabandal
     
  2. Lee

    Lee Principalities

    Dear Garabandal,
    I've been a member of the Legion of Mary for 2.5 years now and wouldn't have it any other way.
    My experience has only deepened my faith, my devotion and my love for not only Our Blessed Mother but for the work we do.
    After each Legion of Mary call I know that I've learned something and in so doing pleased our Holy Mother of God.
    There is nothing like it. In fact this Feb. I'm taking an officers position, which I'm very much looking forward to.
    You will be blessed in ways you never could imagine. I highly recommend it.
    I'll pray that peoples hearts in your parish are stirred in wanting to take a more active roll on Her behalf.

    Lee
     
  3. twoangels

    twoangels New Member

    Hi guy's,could you both elaborate what the Legion Of Mary entails-scuse my ignorance!

    Siobhan
     
  4. padraig

    padraig Powers

    There used to be a very,very holy lay brother in the monastery Brother Brendan who had been drawn into the monastery from being a Member of the Legion. He was a little critical of the Legion for not moving with the times. Whcih surprised me a little as he was not the kind to criticise easily, such a saint.

    It was founded by Frank Duff back in the 1920s in Ireland as a vehicle for lay Catholic Action and was very much ahead of its time back then. Some very many saintly Catholics were involved many of them up for beatification at the minute. Including Edel Quinn who stayed for a while at the Poor Clare Convent as a novice round the corner.

    Its based on Devotion to our Blessed Mary and is organised somewhat on the lines of the Roman Army and hence is called the 'Legion' of Mary. Its does a wide range of Apostolic work such as helping down and outs , knocking doors to bring people back to the faith, setting up lay groups in missionary countries. Its spread pretty well all over the world now.

    At The Second Vatican Council Frank Duff was present and all the Bishops stood up and gave him a standing ovation, the only time a lay person ever got such a wonderful compliment.

    You meet once a week in a small group and pray together and review the work done during the week.

    The draw back is maybe the work can draw on time quite a lot and the organisation is kinda dye4d in the wool and hasn't moved with the times.

    The spiritual rewards, however are immense.

    However I'd say its not something to rush into but to pray about first.
    http://www.legionofmary.org/lom.html

    Venerable Edel Quinn

    Prayer

    Eternal Father, I thank You for the grace you gave to your servant, Edel Quinn, of striving to live always in the joy of Your presence, for the radiant charity infused into her heart by Your Holy Spirit, and for the strength she drew from the Bread of Life to labor until death for the glory of Your Name, in loving dependence on Mary, Mother of the Church. Confident, O Merciful Father, that her life was pleasing to You, I beg You to grant me, through her intercession, the special favor I now implore …, and to make known by miracles the glory she enjoys in Heaven, so that she may be glorified also by Your Church on earth, through Christ Our Lord. Amen. We place our petitions in the hands of Mary to whom Edel turned in every need. Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the Fruit of thy womb. Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now, and at the hour of our death. Amen.

    Edel Quinn was born in Kanturk, Co. Cork, Ireland on September 14th, 1907. As a girl her ambition was to enter a Contemplative Convent, but she was prevented from doing so by ill health.

    At the age of 20 she joined the Legion of Mary in Dublin and gave herself entirely to its apostolate. in 1932 she became seriously ill and spent a long period in hospital. She later resumed her Legion work, though with her health permanently impaired.

    In 1936, Edel was appointed Legion of Mary Envoy with the commission to establish the organization in the vast territories of East and Central Africa. She encountered great obstacles in this pioneering work. As against every difficulty and her wretched health, she brought to her task an absolute faith in God's love and a limitless trust in the maternal care of the Blessed Virgin.

    Edel was gifted with a clear practical mind, notable organizing ability, an indomitable will, a deep fund of warm, human sympathy and an infectious joyousness of spirit that never failed her. These qualities eventually won everyone to her side.

    Although working alone and in a state of perpetual ill-health and exhaustion, Edel established the Legion on a firm, enduring basis even as far a Mauritius in the Indian Ocean. Hundreds of Legion branches and multiple councils were established and she mobilized thousands of Africans in the service of the Church.

    After eight years of heroic labor, Edel died in Nairobi on May 14th, 1944, where she is buried in the Missionaries' Cemetery. The Diocesan Process, the first step towards her beatification, was sent in motion by the Archbishop of Nairobi.

    On 15th December 1994 our Holy Father, Pope John Paul II in a special assembly of the Cardinals and other members of the Congregation for the Causes of the Saints made the following solemn declaration.. "It is certain that the Servant of God, Edel Mary Quinn, a secular virgin of the Legion of Mary, practiced to a heroic degree the theological virtues of Faith, Hope and Charity towards God and her neighbor and likewise the cardinal virtues of Prudence, Justice, Temperance and Fortitude".

    He ordered the Decree to be published and to be inserted in the Acts of the Congregation.

    Because of this proclamation of her outstanding holiness Edel Quinn now bears the title Venerable.


    12. Servant of God, Alfie Lambe

    Prayer

    O God, who by Your infinite mercy inflamed the heart of your servant, Alphonsus Lambe with an ardent love for you and for Mary, our Mother; a love which revealed itself in a life of intense labor, prayer and sacrifice for the salvation of souls, grant, if it be your will, that we may obtain, by his intercession, what we cannot obtain by our own merits. We ask this through Jesus Christ, Our Lord. Amen.

    The servant of God, Alphonsus Lambe, (known as Alfie) was born in Tullamore, Ireland on the feast of St. John the Baptist, Friday, 24th June 1932, during the International Eucharistic Congress in Dublin.

    Like St. John he was a precursor - the precursor of the Legion of Mary, which Pope Paul VI described as "the greatest movement which has been established for the good of souls since the era of the great religious orders".

    After spending a period of his youth in the novitiate of the Irish Christian Brothers, which he had to leave because of delicate health, he found his vocation in the Legion of Mary, and was appointed Envoy in 1953. With Seamus Grace, he left for Bogotá, Colombia on the feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel (16th July) of that year.

    For almost six years he worked ceaselessly in promoting the Legion of Mary in Colombia, Argentina, Ecuador, Uruguay and Brazil. After a short but grave illness he died in Buenos Aires on the feast of St. Agnes, 21st January 1959.

    God had bestowed on him great natural gifts, a personality which attracted souls to the service and love of God, an infectious enthusiasm and a facility for learning languages, which enabled him to rapidly attain fluency in Spanish and Portuguese.

    During his years in South America he set up a great number of branches of the Legion of Mary and trained a multitude in the apostolate of the Legion. His devotion to Mary was outstanding, and in contacts with Legionaries and others he explained and urged the practice of the True Devotion to Our Lady.

    He is buried in the vault of the Irish Christian Brothers, in the Recoleta Cemetery, Buenos Aires.

    Legion of Mary
     
  5. Lee

    Lee Principalities

    That was excellent, thank you.
     
  6. twoangels

    twoangels New Member

    Thanks for that Padraig, I had a look at the site on the Legion of Mary and It's something I could'nt commit to at this moment in time. The site is very good though and I'll be keeping it in my favourites!
     
  7. padraig

    padraig Powers

    Frank Duff the founder of the Legion seems to have been the most extraordinary little man. He was a senior Civil Servant and he was man who was constantly on the move, constantly working someone who seems to have met and known everybody!! He rode round Ireland for hundreds of miles on his bicycle setting up Legion groups and was at the centre of a vast hub of Apostolic activity that embraced many countries, eventually the whole world. Tireless, non stop with an energy which , even to read about would exhaust us. He is the great example of the soul that loves Mary and is her slve. But he always understood prayer was at the very centre of all work, the rosary the crown of all his prayer. He reminds me of the great Protestant evangelist who was showing a new student round his great buildings. He asked the student if he would like to see his, 'Boiler house'. He then took him down to the basement to see a group of 500 people in constant prayer for the works. This, he said was his boiler house, the source of all his evangelical work. Or as another said , he did nothing unless it had been 'drenched' in prayer. What a wonderful phrase!!

    There is a book written about the early days of the Legion and it is truly a book of miracles. One of the things they did for instance was to work for the conversion of prostitutes. On one occasion , when refused access to a brothel by a pimp Frank climbed through a window to talk to the ladies inside!! No risk too hard, no obstacle too great!!

    Frank's Cause has gone to Rome and I suppose he will, eventually be canonised.

    THE CATENA LEGIONIS

    Antiphon. Who is she that comes forth as the morning rising, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terrible as an army set in battle array?

    (Make the Sign of the Cross)
    v. My soul glorifies the Lord.*
    R. My spirit rejoices in God, my Saviour.
    v. He looks on His servant in her lowliness;*
    henceforth all ages will call me blessed.

    R. The Almighty works marvels for me.*
    Holy His name!
    v. His mercy is from age to age,*
    on those who fear Him.

    R. He puts forth His arm in strength*
    and scatters the proud-hearted.
    v. He casts the mighty from their thrones*
    and raises the lowly.

    R. He fills the starving with good things,*
    sends the rich away empty.

    v. He protects Israel His servant,*
    remembering His mercy,
    R. The mercy promised to our fathers,*
    to Abraham and his sons for ever.

    v. Glory be to the Father, and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit..
    R. As it was in the beginning is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

    Antiphon. Who is she that comes forth as the morning rising, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terrible as an army set in battle array?

    v. O Mary, conceived without sin.
    R. Pray for us who have recourse to you.

    Let us pray. O Lord Jesus Christ, our mediator with the Father, Who has been Pleased to appoint the Most Blessed Virgin, Your mother, to be our mother also, and our mediatrix with You, mercifully grant that whoever comes to You seeking Your favours may rejoice to receive all of them through her. Amen.
    CONCLUDING PRAYERS

    (Make the Sign of the Cross)
    In the name of the Father, etc.

    We fly to your patronage, O holy Mother of God; despise not our prayers in our necessities, but ever deliver us from all dangers, O glorious and blessed Virgin.

    v. Mary Immaculate, Mediatrix of all Graces
    (or Invocation appropriate to Praesidium)
    R. Pray for us.
    v. St. Michael and St. Gabriel
    R. Pray for us.
    v. All you heavenly Powers, Mary's Legion of Angels
    R. Pray for us.
    v. St. John the Baptist
    R. Pray for us.
    v. Saints Peter and Paul
    R. Pray for us.

    Confer, O Lord, on us, who serve beneath the standard of Mary, that fullness of faith in You and trust in her, to which it is given to conquer the world. Grant us a lively faith, animated by charity, which will enable us to perform all our actions from the motive of pure love of You, and ever to see You and serve You in our neighbor; a faith, firm and immovable as a rock, through which we shall rest tranquil and steadfast amid the crosses, toils and disappointments of life; a courageous faith which will inspire us to undertake and carry out without hesitation great things for your glory and for the salvation of souls; a faith which will be our Legion's Pillar of Fire - to lead us forth united - to kindle everywhere the fires of divine love - to enlighten those who are in darkness and in the shadow of death - to inflame those who are lukewarm - to bring back life to those who are dead in sin; and which will guide our own feet in the way of peace; so that - the battle of life over - our Legion may reassemble, without the loss of any one, in the kingdom of Your love and glory. Amen.

    May the souls of our departed legionaries and the souls of all the faithful departed through the mercy of God rest in peace. Amen.

    (Make the Sign of the Cross)
    In the name of the Father, etc.
     
  8. padraig

    padraig Powers

    I often like to think of how we will be dressed in heaven. I think of everyone in all the colours of the rainbow , not as we are in heaven , dressed by choice but how we look on the outside showing clearly how we really how on the inside. I sometimes think I catch a glimpse of myself like this in prayer dressed as the angels in wonderful garments too rich and beautiful to describe. There the very least in heaven shall glow in colours and jewls so gorgeous that they would leave us poor mortals so spell bound as to entrance and mesmerise us. One thing I sometimes think I shall have in heaven is a hood as the monks wear to show my love of prayer and my love for being alone, walking my dogs across the rich mountains of heaven.

    So in heaven, so on Earth.

    Each soul is different and each with their own paths to tread. I think it is a very common error to suppose that we, having found our own path to walk imagine that it is good for everyone else to walk our own path. To imagine for instance that because we have a great love for, say all things Franciscan that everyone else should wwalk that particular path, or to suppose that since being in the Legion of Mary.

    For instance I have always had a very great love and devotion to Padre Pio and have prayed to and read many books about him. Central to following Padre Pio is becoming a Spiritual Child of his. But when I have tried to do so in the past I have had a restraining hand placed on my heart and felt that this was not the path for me. So I went away and prayed about it and saw clearly this was God's will. Not, you understand that there is anything wrong in this, just that it was not the path for me.

    I have nearly always since I was 5 wanted to be a priest , however when I followed this path always great heart breaking obstacles seem placed in my way. So I went away and prayed about it and found my time is not God's, to pray and wait.

    I have several times been invited to join the Legion of Mary but have prayed about it and not felt called.

    Again not my will but God's

    As far as the Holy Ghost goes I think we really have to be light as a feather and let Him blow us were He will, He may blow us to some pretty funny places, but then thats His buisness, not ours.

    God is getting us all dressed up for heaven. May prayer make us as light as a feather so He can dress us up as He will,
     
  9. garabandal

    garabandal Powers

    Padraig,

    Like yourself I have a love and devotion of St Padre Pio and
    own several books on this great saint. If there is a saint that
    is holier than him [outside of our Blessed Mother] in heaven
    I will be surprised.

    I do think that there will be a 'ranking in heaven', some kind
    of hierarchy, a host of wonderful saints all shining like
    the rainbow as you say. I really look forward to meeting these
    great people for all eternity. The saints have always fascinated me
    their heroic deeds and expolits excite me but also put me to shame
    as I am so far from being like them. And in heaven I feel I will be
    one of the 'tiny jewels' that shines brightly and adorns heaven
    but is small but still loved greatly by God.

    I love the song of the birds that seem to praise God so beautifully.
    I have asked of the Lord that I might be a 'little bird' in heaven
    that sings His praises and glorifies him. I have asked the Lord if I might be
    given the 'gift of praise' in Heaven for all I want to do is sing his praises
    like the 'morning and evening thrush'. I really want this and feel it is of
    the Spirit and there is no harm in asking before I get there [hopefully!].

    I think you are very wise to be able to discern that it is not God's will
    to be a priest or a spiritual child of St Pio or a member of the Legion
    of Mary. Doing God's will is the important thing.
     
  10. Lee

    Lee Principalities

    Padraig, it is the breath of the Holy Spirit that calls us I'm certain.
    I used to wear, and still do, a denim jacket to which I attached on the back an 11 X 5 sequined patch of Our Lady Of Guadalupe. It was when I was wearing this walking advertisement for Our Blessed Mother that someone introduced me to the Legion of Mary and invited me to be an Auxiliary member. I remember that my heart actually quickened when I heard the name of it, at the time having no idea what it was. At the time I couldn't be an active member but knew that I would one day. I cried all threw the Promise and love the work that we do.
    But I'm very aware of God's timing and calling and that it's not for every one.
    Only now looking back over my life I have wondered about the religious life. When I was very young I used to play with my friends and would wear a veil on my head that looked like part of a habit. I didn't at that time even know what a nun was, but when I finally heard of the Church there was an immediate core attraction. My vocation as a wife and mother is so rich and I'm blessed beyond what I ever would have dreamed. God knows what He's doing!
     
  11. padraig

    padraig Powers

    Yes, Lee, God writes straight in crooked lines!!
     

Share This Page